The registration, user account, and score reporting services on this website will be temporarily unavailable on Tuesday, February 21, between 8:00 a.m. and 9:00 a.m. eastern time, for system maintenance. We apologize for any inconvenience.
MTLE Basic Skills Test Update
The MTLE Basic Skills Test was discontinued and replaced by the Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills test effective August 30, 2016.
For candidates that needed to fulfill the basic skills test requirement prior to the implementation of the Minnesota NES Essential Academic Skills on August 30, 2016, the multi-state NES Essential Academic Skills test was available to Minnesota candidates from June 7, 2016, through August 28, 2016.
|Last day to take the MTLE Basic Skills Test||June 8, 2016|
|Multi-state NES® Essential Academic Skills test available to Minnesota candidates||June 7, 2016–August 28, 2016|
|Implementation of the Minnesota NES® Essential Academic Skills test||August 30, 2016|
For the Minnesota NES. The Minnesota Board of Teaching has established the following passing scores for the Minnesota NES EAS subtests. Candidates must take and pass each subtest to qualify for a MN teaching license.
|MN NES EAS Subtest||Passing Score (on a 400–600 point scale)|
For the NES. The Minnesota Board of Teaching has established the following passing scores for the NES EAS subtests. Candidates were able to take this test from June 7–August 28, 2016.
|NES EAS Subtest||Passing Score (on a 100–300 point scale)|
Frequently Asked Questions Regarding the Retirement of MTLE Basic Skills and the Adoption of the NES® Essential Academic Skills
- I have already attempted the Basic Skills test, but have not passed after five attempts. Am I able to obtain a voucher to take the Minnesota NES® Essential Academic Skills test?
Your number of attempts will reset with the Minnesota NES® Essential Academic Skills test, effective August 30, 2016. After three attempts on that test, you will be eligible to retake the Minnesota NES® Essential Academic Skills test at no cost.
If you need to complete the Basic Skills test requirement prior to August 30, 2016, and you take the multi-state NES® Essential Academic Skills test, that test attempt will not count towards a retake voucher attempt for the Minnesota NES® Essential Academic Skills.
- I tested when the policy required five attempts before receiving a voucher. When the policy changes to three attempts, can I be refunded for my Basic Skills fourth and fifth attempt?
- No refunds will be provided.
- I have only passed one or two of the Basic Skills subtests, and I am scheduled to take the remaining subtest(s) after June 8th. Will I be able to test? What happens regarding the subtest(s) I have already completed?
- If you are scheduled to take the Basic Skills test after June 8th, and you would like to attempt to complete the remaining Basic Skills subtest(s), you should reschedule your appointment for a date on or before June 8th. If you do not complete all of the required Basic Skills subtests on or before June 8th, you will need to take the remaining NES® Essential Academic Skills subtest(s) in order to fulfill this licensure requirement.